There are typically five obstacles before the deeper mediation takes place.
1. First obstacle is to find peaceful environment and enough time to meditate. At the beginning be sure that you will not be interrupted. You can also use headphones and maybe some guided meditation (from YouTube), or at least some meditative music (also from YouTube).
2. After finding the peaceful surroundings, your inner surroundings wake up and form all the rest obstacles of meditation. The second obstacle is already inside of your own mind. It is your reason that starts to guide (read disturb) you, by telling about all the things that you should do right now, or just some detail of your past days you should focus on real hard etc. This is its role and just let it go through. Let the reason speak whatever there will be, just be glad that it speaks to you. All this phase takes, is a little bit time, and therefore soon your reason will understand that you do not want to act or feel or even think about anything, but just “be here and now”.
3. Usually right after your reason stops, your emotions takes charge and try to stop you, or try to force you do something. Suddenly there are so many things that just feel absolutely right things to do – maybe cleaning the house, making some home works, paying bills, going jugging, fixing the car, watching the children, taking dog for a walk etc. Just relax even more and accept your emotions, as they are, also they serve greater purpose and works for your own good. Just let your emotions enter your awareness, and then feel them as comprehensively as you can, and after that let them go. And like this, they will go, at least for a moment, and thus your meditation can continue to the next level of your unconscious mind.
4. Then after your reason and emotions, your ego has only one more trap for you. It thinks that it’s better to sleep unconsciously than to meditate. This is your own unconscious mind protecting yourself (and itself). You need to understand that also in this level, if you physically need to sleep (sleep debt), then your mind will take this on balance first (by sleeping), and only after that, meditation will be possible in this level. Remember that it is more than normal just to fall asleep during meditation, and after some time your mind will learn how to stay in the mental twilight zone. This is when meditation actually begins to work, and thus also the dreams, visions and everything else comes possible. This is the beautiful tiny spot between of consciousness and unconscious mind, and between of your past and future. This spot is the absolute “here and now”. In this Body, right Here, and in this Mind, right Now. This is the tiny spot of miracles and hidden knowledge – it is the home of higher consciousness.
5. After phase four, there is still one more obstacle – continuity. Meditation (also hypnosis, prayers, relaxations etc.) will have a major, deep impact in your life, but only when you actually build a habit of it. If you meditate only every now and then, your results will be like those of amateurs, but correspondingly if you meditate constantly, your results will be like those of enlightened pros.
Some reasons why to build a permanent habit of meditating:
- Better concentration,
- Better awareness,
- More joyful attitude,
- Better flexibility in general,
- It relieves any kind of stress,
- Expands creativity,
- Opens long-term memory,
- Reveals your hidden emotions,
- Reveals your personal, limiting beliefs and values,
- Helps you to know thyself,
- Opens your mental eye to see your truly self,
- Helps you to handle difficult issues from your personal past,
- Turns on your higher consciousness,
- Shows how to control your unconscious mind,
- etc. etc. etc.,
- Will eventually make you enlightened, already in this life.